Well there is the choice of a stiff drink and a pint of ice-cream. But really you will only wake up with a wicked hangover and a doubling your run or spin class in the morning. Regardless of what party you belong to or who your candidate is, election season is stressful, you are not even the one running, for office that is. And that is why we are going to give you some steps to decompress after this year long roller-coaster of debates in making you want America great again or believe we are stronger together.
- First of all, you need to unplug. No longer refreshing your browser to check which state closed and who won California every 2 minutes should help. Turn of the loud noise of electoral votes and why the candidate won or lost. The days of panic that if you didn’t vote you would let your country down are over for another 4 years.
- What’s done is done now…whether you are happy or disappointed with the results. Focus on aspect of life. The ones that give you less anxiety and the one only you get to vote on and decide. Like deciding what your family has for dinner. No need to ask your significant other or your children what they would like to eat. Be the sole voter and decider of the meal that will fill your tummies. And while at it enjoy the fun and calm that comes with cooking a meal
- Don’t talk about politics, don’t talk about the votes, if your candidate won don’t rub it in people’s faces and if your candidate lost don’t call pack your things and move to the neighbors to the north or the south. Focus on your work. Focus on what is beautiful in the world, you know…like flowers.
- Listen to soothing music, read a good nonpolitical book, watch a numb numbing rerun of your favorite show or a side-splitting comedy. Occupy your mind things that makes you genuinely happy.
- Exercise. No, we are not crazy, working out released the feel-good ingredients in your body. And you’ll be fit in the process. But you are not thinking about elections while you are engaging your core in your Pilates class or sprinting on an incline on the treadmill or lifting your body weight. You mind will be clear; you are feeling good and you will be able to run to Canada if you wanted to.