Our bosses do so much for us, but we often don’t realize it. That’s because a lot of what they do is behind the scenes, and we never know about it. With Boss’ Day just around the corner (Sunday the 16th, so celebrate it on Monday the 17th), it’s time to think about everything your boss has done for you this year.
Not sure what your boss has done for you? Maybe this list of the ten best things about bosses will help you make your own list for your boss.
1. Bosses motivate, guide, and encourage us. Good bosses do this in ways that allow us to grow and hone our skills.
2. They’re our first line of defense against the avalanche. Everything falls downhill in a business, but our bosses are often the ones who step up and redirect some of the rocks away from us or our entire department. Your boss is going to do his or her best to make sure your department isn’t constantly dumped on.
3. Likewise, they’re our best cheerleader. A lot of delegation and work assignment goes on in those closed-door meetings our bosses attend. You can bet your boss is doing all he or she can to get your department the best jobs.
4. Your boss didn’t start out as a boss. He or she knows exactly what you’re going through—they were once where you are now, and they know what it’s like.
5. Your boss wants you to succeed! Some people may claim their bosses are just setting them up to fail, but why would they do that? Your performance reflects on them, after all, so they look good when you do well. It follows, then, that good bosses do everything they can to make you a shining star.
6. They listen. If you have a problem or concern about your job or the work environment, your boss will listen and do his/her best to fix the situation. This doesn’t always mean the situation will be fixed to your liking—sometimes the “fix” is to help you deal with it! However, your boss will do whatever he/she can to keep you comfortable and happy at work.
7. They like to loosen up and have a little fun now and then, too. It might seem like your boss always has his nose to the grindstone, but even the most hard-working boss needs a break now and then. Bosses show this with employee birthday parties, holiday celebrations, and the “just because” lunches and dessert days.
8. The best bosses know they don’t know it all. These bosses will listen when you tell them new information, and they will be willing to admit when they don’t know something.
9. They don’t expect miracles. Sometimes, a project just can’t be done to schedule, no matter how hard you work. Good bosses are able to see when situations are beyond your control, and they don’t punish you for this.
10. They celebrate and recognize success. The best bosses will make everyone knows when you’ve done the impossible or even the slightly difficult.
Celebrate Boss’ Day with one of our great plants or gourmet baskets!