Here we are mid-July and summer is in full swing!! It’s been more than a little hot and humid in the DC area over the past week! I don’t know about you, but my thermostat and electric bill have been battling it out for the past few weeks to see who can climb the highest! Now seems like the PERFECT time to beat this summer heat by taking a trip to the BEACH!! Near or far we love them all! There are just so many things you can do at the beach! Everyone here LOVES waking up early and watching the sunrise on the beach! Early morning is one of the BEST times to get amazing sea shells too!! Perhaps you’re not a morning person, well that’s ok! Building sandcastles and playing in the water during the day are a sure-fire way to catch up on that tan you’re always working on! Make sure you wear your SPF; sun damage and skin cancer is no joke guys! Maybe you just like to kick back and relax! The best part about the
Were you aware that the best regions for dolphin sightings in the summer are from Southern Virginia all the way down to Florida?! Lots of different beaches offer boat tours and excursions that take you out into the water for a closer look! If you’re adventurous there are also places that will take you parasailing or scuba diving! I know Ocean City has a TON of things to offer if you’re feeling adventurous!
Remember guys, whether you’re relaxing on the beach, being daring and diving with sharks, or just walking around on the board walk, the beach is an amazing place to kick back and relax! In case you were interested we included some of the top things to do in Ocean City this summer!!
It’s that time of year again! Fireworks, parades, picnics and backyard barbecues! Our nations day of independence is upon us! Independence Day is this Tuesday, but there will be festivities all weekend!! Remember, a floral arrangement is the one of the best ways to decorate for this holiday weekend! Let MyFlorist help you out with all of your holiday centerpiece needs this year!
And as always, remember be safe and smart!!
If you’re looking for ideas on how to celebrate in the district this year, here’s an awesome link!!
Wedding season is upon us, which means if you know anyone who has gotten married in May, June or July, it’s anniversary season as well!! Flowers are the perfect way to show how much you care for your special someone or a friend who just had an anniversary! Here at MyFlorist we can create the PERFECT arrangement to say “I Love You” or “Happy Anniversary, My Friend!”! Our arrangements will really wow whoever you’re trying to send to and are an amazing way to say you’re thinking of them.
After you send your leading lady a drop dead gorgeous flower arrangement you have to follow it up with an amazing meal! In case you’re at a loss where to take her for your special day, here is a list of the top 100 restaurants in the DC area for 2017 according to The Washingtonian!!
With Father’s Day quickly approaching, here are some tips on small ways you can show dad you care! If your dad is anything like mine, he is not a talker. For the past few years I’ve asked my dad to tell me about his childhood or some of his favorite stories from his life. He doesn’t know it yet, but I’ve recorded every story time and I’ll be giving it to him in the next few years. Another way to show him that you care is to let him know you still need him! Since my dad is a contractor I am always asking him to help me fix something. Not necessarily have him fix it for me, just help so we can spend some quality time together! If you dad is the athletic type, take him out to a game! Or even better, challenge him to one! Parks are always free and there are tons of fields in the area! If you’re lucky you can make a day out of it and use the grills some of the parks have as well!! They say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach! Another great way to show him you care is making his favorite meal! When I was little I would spend time with my grandmother and she showed me how to make my father’s favorite meal. It took me about 4 years ( I was only 8 when she started teaching me!), but I finally mastered it and now it’s a tradition that he gets it made for him on his birthday and Father’s Day! Just remember, take the time and let him know that you care!!
And in case you aren’t a fan of the things above, below is a link of some cool things to do in the DC Metro area for Father’s Day!!
There are many ways one can take some time to unwind and recharge. Some people meditate, unless you’re like me and can’t sit still long enough for “it to work”, some people vacation, which can be stressful enough just getting ready and planning for a trip, and some people nap. Did you ever stop and think about how flowers can help you with this?
Some people find drinking tea as very calming and soothing, but did you know that Chamomile tea is one of the top choices for calming the nerves? It has been used for thousands of years going back to Ancient Egypt to calm nerves and help with anxiety and stomach ailments, which is where some people find anxiety affects them the most. Lavender has also been used for thousands of years to help with relaxing and calming people. I know when I’ve had a hard day I enjoy a nice bath with a couple drops of Lavender in and let the calmness take me over!
There have also been numerous studies where flowers have made an impact on depressed and stressed out patients in the hospital. Flowers are said to immediately brighten up the day of the recipient and give them energy all day! So, remember whether you get them for yourself or get them for someone else, take time and smell the roses
Three women sat down complaining about the mess in their home. One woman was married with children, the other lived with her partner and the third a single woman that lived by herself. each woman talked about the obstacles they faced in keeping a clean and tidy home. Reasons and excuses were given on how having small children and being working parents means very little time was given for housekeeping, or a messy partner and lack of consideration made it difficult to keep up with house work, or a full social calendar and a spoiled mischievous pet meant all efforts made towards keeping the home in order was made insufficient. But in the end the conversation ended with, “You know, I was never taught how to clean or keep my home in order.” And they all agreed that in fact that is the reason so their present predicament.
Marie Kondo, an organizing and de-cluttering consultant and author on several books on how to keep the home and workplace organized and clean confirms in one of her books that we are never actually taught how to clean neither in our homes or in our schools. We are taught to believe that there are two kinds of people the neat freaks and the messy slobs by nature. we sometimes look around ourselves and say as we shrug our shoulder “I am messy by nature, but it is mess that makes sense and I know where everything is and my mind works better in the chaos”. We all know that is a load of old wilted tulips, right? think of the tie that our mind is overwhelmed. Often, we try alleviate the chaos in our minds by organizing the outside world in the effort to at least control the tangible mess. We hope that by organizing the outside world we can organize the mental.
Kondo suggests, that one of the best ways of keeping a tidy home is but purging. by keeping only the things that bring us joy and are useful and letting go of all the thing that we don’t need nor are useful nor bring anything positive in our world. so, this spring, also known as the season for cleaning, in other words Spring Cleaning let us take the challenge to keep only the things in life that bring us joy, that serve a purpose, that prove their usefulness and let everything go. We are not talking about just in our physical world. Certainly, do that too. keep your home and work place clean and tidy but use the same philosophy for our mental, emotional, and spiritual well-being. Let us purge. Let us remove the negative and purge and only keep those things that will make us grow. We are not talking about keeping all the rainbows and unicorns and bunnies, puppies, and cotton candies. Because life is not all rosy. what we mean is use even the negative occurrence in our lives learn from it, embrace it, and grow from it then let it go. there is no pint in holding on to it and letting it clog and clutter us internally.
Imagine your world without women…Seriously. Sit down (or stand, your choice, because you have the choice) and think about what your world would be without women. Not just the women in your life. Not just your mother, your wife, your sister, your aunt, your friend, your daughter, you colleague. But women in general. The strong, brave, intelligent, innovative generous passionate women in history. Would your life be as it is today? It doesn’t matter if you are a man or a woman, you wouldn’t be where you are today if weren’t for both the men and women that made big changes in the past and those that are making great changes now. So why is it that we hesitate and need to be prompted to celebrate the great women in the world? Why do we create obstacles for women to reach height when their brothers don’t even have to imagine that those obstacles would exist? Why do we not let out daughters dream bigger dreams like we do our sons? We have come a long way, it true, but we are still shackled to the mentality of inequality.
We challenge you to teach your daughters to be free of the mental anchors that make them believe that they cannot go further than what has already been achieved. We challenge you teach them that and ceiling is there to be smashed through. Jennifer L. Lawless and Richard L. Fox write in their article in Governance Studies that the reason there isn’t gender parity in Public Office if in fact because women don’t run. If they run they would win, but they don’t because of the many excuses they give themselves. That they are not qualifies enough, or think they simply won’t win. So, let us challenge ourselves to release our women’s way of thinking. And the best way we can do that is by supporting them. The women’s growth in society is growth for the whole world. Why do we expect to rise when we keep half of what makes up our society under our feet? We rise when we all unity in the common goal TOGETHER.
This year when you celebrate International Women’s Day don’t be passive about it. Don’t look at a woman and thing “Hey you are a woman let me wish you a happy day”. Make it count make it mean something. Not just for her but to the entire gender.
We hate to be captain obvious with suggestions that so basic and simple. but we must remember that the most basic and simplest romance tricks are the tried and the ones and the ones we take for granted or forget about the most.
- Tell your honey you love her or him and show the love in your actions. This could be anywhere from picking up his favorite snacks on your way home to rubbing her feet in the evening to letting him eat the last chicken wing
- Share your goals and dreams and fears with your partner. Include your partner in your day to day life. Speak in “we” rather than “I” wen talking about your future. Be considerate, understanding and encouraging towards his/her future
- Be forgiving of your sweetie’s shortcoming and compromise. You don’t always have to win. Not all arguments need to be won.
- Listen to your partner. But realy listen, not the passive listening while reading a book or watching a game or a TV show. Really understand what s/he s saying to you. There is nothing as romantic as someone giving you their undivided attention.
- Remember you are equals. Not one is better or more important than the other. You both bring your truest selves wholly so you are both equal in the relationship
- Do not try to change each other. Love your partner for who they really are and despite their shortcoming. Why would you want to change the person you love anyway? Then they will stop being the person you fell in love with. That said, always strive to be the best person you could strive to be better for yourself and for your partner.
- Be whole as a unit and individually. Enjoy it each other company but you should also be able to be content by yourself.
- Buy each other gifts. Just because. No special occasion. Only because you thought about each other or you saw something that reminded you of each other or you know that your partner would absolutely love it.
- Let go or your preconceived ideas or expectation of what romance or relationships are alike or should be like. Your neighbor’s, friend’s or even parents’ relationship has nothing to do with yours. Let your love and companionship grow organically at its own pace and into its own space. Don’t force it to become the status quo or like your ideal of a relationship.
- Brag about each other. Be each other’s cheerleader and publicist. There is nothing sweater, more romantic, hear warming and satisfying like a partner that sings your praises to others.
The super bowl of dates is upon us. many plans being drafted, playbooks being studies, date budgets increased, romance levels turned up to the max, Of the pressure. But why? Valentine’s day does not need to be an elaborate circus with openers, main shows and after parties. Don’t get us wrong, it is wonderful that you are putting a lot of thoughts into celebrating your loved ones. But it does not mean that you absolutely need to cash in your 401K to do so.
The point of the day is in making sure our sweethearts are treated to what makes them the happiest. And there is nothing more romantic than knowing what they love and offering it. Some are not impressed with your ability to obtain a coveted reservation at a fancy restaurant, or that you copied some RomCom because you could not come up with an idea of your own. This does not mean your sweetheart will not appreciate it. It only means that s/he is getting something unoriginal or something that truly makes her/hi happy.
- Grubhub, Netflix and chill. 2017 Valentine’s day is on a Tuesday. A work day. Imagine she has a long day at work. Nothing like having her favorite dish from her favorite restaurant; her favorite show and just relax with her favorite person (that is you).
- While in the theme of chill, how about an evening of nothing. Sit together drinking wine eating cheese and grapes and just talk and be there with each other. Get to know each other even better. Really listen to each other and share what in your heart, stories funny or sad, tell jokes
- Have an evening of games with just the two of you. Make yourselves yummy sandwiches and drinks and have a fun evening with you beau
- Go to the gym together. Couples that sweat together stay together. Run and challenge each other on the treadmill or spot each other at the weights. Encourage each other to do more and complement each other on accomplishments
- Make it known who your sweetheart is to the world. Call you favorite florist and order some beautiful flowers and have them delivered at work. DO it even a day early. This shows that you didn’t wait till the day off to remember and it will be a beautiful surprise to receive them a day early.
Let love rule!