As the US government pushes the record-making $700 billion bail-out for the banking sector, and a $25 billion loan to carmakers, our confidence as consumers takes a tumble. We, as a nation, are cutting back, learning to live on a cash basis. Fuel and food prices are going up and we hear “economic depression” on the news and around the water cooler. So in this economy, who can afford luxuries like flowers? If we put aside certain events like weddings and funerals and Mother’s Day where flowers are often necessary to express our feelings, what else warrants such decadent spending? Let’s do a Top 10 list of Why Flowers Are Always Affordable:
- Flowers bring us back to Mother Earth. They are alive. Touch them and you can’t help but feel more connected to the universe.
- Flowers are easy to order online and have sent almost anywhere in the world, usually within half a business day. So they are great for last minute gifts or far away loved ones.
- Flowers never go out of style. They can express a gracious business thank you or a fun nudge to say, “Hey, I’m still thinking of you.”
- Flowers soothe us. The aroma, the delicate beauty and the gentle spirit of flowers give us those “Stop and Smell the Flowers” moments away from the financial and technical stress in our everyday lives.
- Flowers give us a lot of bang for our luxury buck. For the same price as a dozen beautiful roses you could fill up your gas tank, buy a pair of slacks, or pay your cell phone bill. But you wouldn’t get the “Ooh’s and Ahh’s”.
- Flowers dress up a room and make us feel loved. Those of
us who have been unfortunate enough to stay in the hospital
for more than a couple of nights without getting flowers know it’s just not
- Flowers encourage and cheer us on. You can congratulate someone with a card or you can show them how proud you are – expressing even deeper levels of feeling – even more with flowers.
- Flowers are romantic. Red roses are still a requirement
for any important evening that involves romance.
Having roses delivered to her office or home before you pick her up can set
the right tone for the night.
- Flowers give us bragging rights at the office. Not that we’d actually brag. It’s a given that someone thinks us awesome.
- Flowers are a luxury. Having a fresh floral arrangement in any room of your house is like sleeping on Egyptian cotton, wearing silk or sipping a fine wine. They are sensuous and beautiful like a summer breeze through the trees with sunlight on our faces and freshly cut grass between our toes.
Balance your checkbook. Pay your bills. Check your investments. And then send