As we sit at our desk, our fingers flying over the keyboard, replying emails, updating our calendars, checking off to-do lists, pivoting tables and all that good stuff that pays our bills and make us feel like we contributed something to the success of the team we work with and company we work for, we forget that our workspace could be less stuffy and more warm and personal. The in and out boxes for our files, the pen holder, the cabby with the clippers, staples thumbtacks and other office supply compartments shouldn’t be the one things on our desk. Yes, we are there to work, but it doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t have something beautiful to look at between our expense reports and the weekly team progress meetings or during that teleconference.
Think about it, you spend an average of 8 hours of your awake time in a day at work (mostly working). Shouldn’t this be a pleasant place to be? There are enough stressors at work without adding the sterile “strictly work and no fun” atmosphere to it. This is why we suggest you bring in some of our favorite workplace essentials that liven your day a little and are scientifically proven to relax you.
- Keep pictures of your loved ones (even your pet) at your desk. This will help to center you, keep you motivated and remind you that your fight with that copy machine just a few minutes ago was so that you and your family (including fido) have what they need and deserve.
- Keep your life affirmations at eye level. That quote or message from someone special, or your mantra that keeps you positive, energized and at peace should be where you can easily locate. so that you can easily access it when unpleasant events occur during your work day.
- Keep simple knickknacks that put a smile on your face on your desk. Mementos that remind you of a happy moment or something funny that will make you giggle will help in giving you a break from routine and/or when having a mental block. This doesn’t mean you should clutter your desk with personal “feel happy” paraphernalia. Just simple pieces strategically placed, is all.
- Keep a small bouquet of flowers in bright beautiful colors at the corner of your desk, away from all the papers and away from high traffic area so you don’t accidentally spill some sugary water all over your project. And if you call the right florist they will know what would be perfect for your desk….like these. Whether flowers sent from your loved one, friend or a thank you token from that lovely old you helped carry her boxes up three flight of stair when the elevator was out of service, or some that you bought for yourself (yes, you can do that!), flowers will undoubtedly put a big ol’smile on your face even if your day has been filled with deadline and spreadsheet that froze every time you filtered.
- Keep a small living plant in the corner. Keeping something live will make you feel alive. It gives you a reason to take a moment to stop and water your little plant once in awhile, giving you another purpose to be in the office other than filing and crunching numbers. It’ll bring out the nurturing side in you while you try your best not to kill the poor plant (or the lucky plant depending how green your thumb is).
So, yes, flowers are essential to our work place. Nothing says “welcome to our offices” to your clients like a beautiful elaborate arrangement of flowers expertly designed by our talented designers and placed strategically on your reception desk. It says “this is a place where we value our employees and you our client and want you to feel at home just like we do”. AND Administrative Professionals week is coming up in just a few weeks. Start thinking about what to gift your admin and show your appreciation.